Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Power of English and my Blog

English


My father enrolled me in a Chinese school for my primary education when I was very young. However, when I moved up to my secondary education it was all in English except for one language subject in Chinese and another one in Malay. From Geography to History and from Literature to Mathematics they were all in English. My daily companion was my English-Chinese dictionary. I had a hard time but it was worth it. To master the language, I read English newspapers, I read comics and I listened to pop songs. It was in the ’60s and The Beatles, Cliff Richard, and Elvis were my favourites. To me, English is very important. When stamp collecting was my hobby I had to read stamp-related materials in English. When I started working in the hotel industry English was the vital communication link and most hotel managers then were foreigners. Now that I have started blogging, all the sites that I visited are in English and my bog is in English simply because it is a widely accepted international language. My blog is new. There is not much traffic, but I have visitors from the USA, Canada, Australia, the UK, the Middle East, and even Africa and China.

Image source:https://www.translatemedia.com/translation-blog/exploring-worlds-power-languages/

1 comment:

  1. What an interesting contribution! I am not sure that English is as widespread or useful as people claim. I would like to argue the case for Esperanto as the international language.
    It is a planned language which belongs to no one country or group of states. Take a look at www.esperanto.net
    Esperanto works! I've used it in speech and writing in a dozen countries over recent years.

    I'd be interested to rtead what you think of Esperanto.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...