Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Google Analytics and my Blog

Google Analytics


Google Analytics is a very comprehensive reporting system for our blogs. From the Dashboard I can have an overview of the following:

 *Site Usage 

*Visitors Overview 

*Map Overlay 

*Traffic Sources Overview 

*Content Overview


  Site Usage From the report, I can see the number of visits, page views, pages/visit, bounce rate, average time on site, and new visits. I can also read the report by day, week, or month and comparing two different periods. 

  Visitors Over here there is a benchmarking report which I like very much. It tells me about my performance by comparing to blogs of similar size. My site is better than the benchmark in average time on site but unfavorable in bounce rate, page views, and pages/visit. I think I know the problem; I had seven posts on the main page, so the average length of time on site was high and the bounce rate was also high. I have just cut it down to 3 posts on the main page. I hope this will bring down the bounce rate. You can even find out the network location (e.g. Telekom Malaysia Berhad and Singnet Pte Ltd) and their connecting speeds in this report. 

  Map Overlay I like the map. It tells me instantly where my visitors are from. I have the most visitors from Malaysia and Singapore follow by the USA and Canada 

  Traffic Sources This report tells me the total number and percentage of traffic sources from search engines, direct traffic, and referring sites. More than 50% of my traffic is from search engines. It means the use of keywords is very important to facilitate readers to access my site. The key words range from one word to a few words. 

  Content This is another important report. It tells me about the articles that the readers are interested to read. This will help me to write relevant articles for my readers. 

 There is another report used to measure business objectives under Goals. At first, I couldn't get used to the report, perhaps the information was too much for me to absorb. Now I can get the hang of it. It's a great report.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...