Saturday, November 6, 2010

Do You Want to Migrate from Blogspot to Dotcom?

From Blogspot to Dotcom




I started this blog http://allaboutlivingwithlife.blogspot.com (a free hosted blog) in 2007 and recently I switched to http://www.allaboutlivingwithlife.com ( my own domain) but I am still using the Blogger platform to run my blog. This article is to share with you things that have happened since I switched over.


Going to my site: The best thing about switching to dotcom is that it does not affect the usual traffic that is coming to my site. It is because when someone keys in the old domain name he will be automatically directed to my site via the new domain name. As far as traffic goes it is the same like before. Google Analytics and Statcounter continue to track my statistics without any problems. Posted articles and everything else is still there. However, you must expect drastic changes to take place for your various rankings

Traffic Rank: In order to minimize the impact of the change, notify Alexa to merge the date of the two domains. Still, your traffic will be down but will pick up fairly quickly to your previous levels. However, the details of your blog are no longer there, it has to build up like a new domain.

PageRank: Be prepared to forgo the PageRank when you migrate from Blogspot to dotcom. Previously I have a PageRank of 3, now I have nothing. I have to start all over again to gain my PageRank

Technorati Rank: Like PageRank, all my Technorati Authority that I have built up over the years is gone. In fact, I can keep my old domain name with the Technorati Authority, but Technorati will not be able to capture links to my blog with the new domain name. So, I delete my old domain and claim my new domain. Now I have started my Authority with just 1


The cost of keeping a dotcom domain is only US10/= per year. Are you willing to sacrifice what you have built up and start all over again? For me, it is a challenge to see how fast I can regain my lost ground.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Charles!
    I have my blog on .com domain since the first post, and I wouldn't even think of having it any other way. For several reasons it's convenient.

    I was surprised to read "Are you willing to sacrifice what you have built up and start all over again?" Why would anyone need sacrifice it?

    We can always take our previous posts and move them on a new domain leaving redirection scripts or links on our previous blog. There would be initial bumps on counters, but it would get to normal levels in no time ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...