Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Stamp collecting


Stamps of Sarawak issued in 1955


During my days in primary school, stamp collecting was my hobby. I would go to the back door of banks and offices to look into their trash bin to search for the envelopes because all the stamps were there. I collected the envelopes and I cut the stamps together with the paper behind. I, then, soaked the stamps together with the paper sticking to them. After a while, I could remove the paper easily without damaging the stamps. I had to dry them and when the stamps were ready I would send them to a stamp dealer in Singapore to do a barter trade. I would request the stamps I like to offset the value of the stamps that I sent. All the stamps that I sent were local stamps and in return, I had a substantial collection of foreign stamps without forking out a single cent.

My Philatelic Collection

Now, stamp collecting has its benefits:

* It is a hobby. In fact, it is the king of hobby and the hobby of kings.
* It’s an education tool. During my school days, Geography was a piece of cake to me. I knew most of the places around the world. I knew the people, their local products, and their livelihood. The knowledge gained was through my stamp collection.
* It’s an investment. The rarer the stamp the more valuable it is.

Now I still have my stamp collection but I can’t devote my time to it anymore.
I spend most of my free time blogging.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...