Thursday, October 30, 2014

7 Benefits of Calmness

Staffelsee Lake


First a story:

The Secret of Calmness

A disciple and his teacher were walking through the forest.
He asked his teacher, “Why do only a few possess a calm mind?
The teacher spoke, “An elephant was once picking leaves from a tree. A small fly came buzzing near his ear. The elephant waved it away with his long ears. The fly came again, and the elephant waved it away once more.
“This was repeated several times. The elephant asked the fly: ‘Why are you so restless and noisy? Why can’t you stay for a while in one place?’ The fly answered: ‘I am attracted to whatever I see, hear or smell.
My five senses, and everything that happens around me, pull me constantly in all directions and I cannot resist them. What is your secret? How can you stay so calm and still?’
“The elephant stopped eating and said: ‘My five senses do not rule my attention. I am in control of my attention, and I can direct it wherever I want. This helps me to get immersed in whatever I do, and therefore, my mind is focused and calm. Now that I am eating, I am completely immersed in eating. ‘”
Upon hearing these words, the disciple’s eyes opened wide. He looked at his teacher and said, “I understand! My mind will be in constant unrest if my five senses; and whatever is happening in the world around me are distracting me. On the other hand, if I am in command of my five senses, I can disregard sense impressions, and my mind will become calm.”
“Yes, that’s right,” answered the teacher. “The mind is restless and goes wherever the attention is. Control your attention and you control your mind.”

Source: http://mythologystories.wordpress.com/2013/01/02/calmness/


Set peace of mind as your highest goal, and organize your life around it - Brian Tracy

Calmness is about serenity, tranquility, and peace of mind. You are not disturbed easily because calmness is strength:

1.     Clarity: Your mind is not cluttered. You are not thinking about anything else but what you need to do now. It can be an assignment, a problem to solve, an idea for a new article, or planning for your next trip. You can think clearly, rationally and you can decide wisely.

2.     Focus: As your mind is like a calm lake without ripples, you are focused on the task at hand. A calm mind facilitates a flow experience at work. It is productive. Working with concentration gives you job satisfaction and a sense of well-being.


3.     Promote positive emotions: Calmness is pleasurable. You feel good and self-assured.

Being relaxed, at peace with yourself, confident, emotionally neutral loose, and free-floating –these are the keys to successful performance in almost everything - Wayne W. Dyer

4.     Anti stress: Calmness is the best way to fight stress. You are able to breathe slowly, attend to your work with undivided attention under challenging conditions. 

Never be in a hurry, do everything quietly and in a calm spirit. Do not lose your inner peace for anything whatsoever, even if your whole world seems upset - Francis de Sales

5.     Enhance Health: When your mind is not at ease because there are outstanding issues bugging you, you can’t relax and you can’t go to sleep with peace of mind. A mind in turbulence is stressful.  Learn to forgive and let go; live in calmness and enjoy a good night’s sleep.

6.     Live in the moment: When you are calm you are not anxious and worrying; your mind is at peace and you pay attention to each passing moment.   You enjoy what you do one thing at a time.  

7.     Avoid negative impulse actions: When you are calm you will not get agitated easily. You are composed under hostile conditions. You are perceived by others to be confident when you stay calm.   


Few things are brought to a successful issue by impetuous desire, but most by calm and prudent forethought. - Thucydides 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...