Monday, July 21, 2014

Free Cloud Storage that I Use Productively


According to the article, What Is Cloud Computing, cloud computing means storing and accessing data and programs over the Internet instead of your computer's hard drive.

Who are the free storage providers that I take advantage of cloud computing productively?

They are Google Drive, Apple iCloud, and pocket.


Google Drive 
Google Drive

I get 15 GB of free storage form Google Drive to keep pictures, files, designs, drawings, recordings, videos, and anything at all, and view them anywhere anytime.

In addition, I use a spreadsheet to keep track of my monthly expenses and I do a content audit as suggested by Neil Patel in his article, How to Conduct a Content Audit on Your SiteI also use Mindmap  to do brainstorming of my life in several important areas like careerpersonal finance, health, family, relationships, and future plan and save it at Google Drive. 

I keep many online and bank account passwords in one document so that I can access them anywhere whenever necessary. I find that this is the best way of arrangement for me.

The other day  when I sent my iPad for repair I had to transfer my passwords to my hard drive because the technician would  have access to my iPad and my data. This is one security issue to watch out for because your date is in the cloud and available on all your devices.

Apple iCloud

Apart from getting free storage for 5 GB, I get many free services similar to Google Drive:

Mail: As the name suggests, it is for emails

Contact: You can keep a list of people you know and their phone numbers with notes.

Calendar: Use this to keep track of appointments, things to do in the future.

Notes: Whatever you want to jot down you can do it here

Reminders: Keep your appointments and schedules here so that you will not forget.  

Find my iPhones: Get online and locate your iPhones and other Apple gadgets when you can’t find them.  

Pages: This is for you to write articles and create documents.

Numbers: Use their spreadsheet and crunch your figures here

Keynotes: This is the place to prepare your presentations.

I mainly use the Calendar to manage my routines and things to be done in the future.
Pocket

Pocket was founded in 2007 by Nate Weiner to help people save interesting articles, videos, and more from the web for later enjoyment. Once saved to Pocket, the list of content is visible on any device — phone, tablet, or computer. It can be viewed while waiting in line, on the couch, during commutes, or travel — even offline.

Pocket is the place where I store articles to read later using PC at home, in the office, or on the go using my iPad. It is free.


Conclusion

Life is so easy with cloud computing because you can access your files and get work done at home, in the office, or while you are travelling.

Are you using free cloud storage? Share your story.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...