Thursday, August 28, 2014

10 THINGS NOT TO WORRY ABOUT IN LIFE

Worry
“Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy.” - Leo Buscaglia

Before I talk about the 10 things not to worry about, read this story first: 


The Carpenter I hired to help me restore an old farmhouse had just finished a rough first day on the job. A flat tire made him lose an hour of work, his electric saw quit, and now his ancient pickup truck refused to start. While I drove him home, he sat in stony silence.

On arriving, he invited me in to meet his family. As we walked toward the front door, he paused briefly at a small tree, touching the tips of the branches with both hands. When opening the door, he underwent an amazing transformation. His tanned face wreathed in smiles and he hugged his two small children and gave his wife a kiss.

Afterward, he walked me to the car. We passed the tree and my curiosity got the better of me. I asked him about what I had seen him do earlier.

"Oh, that's my trouble tree", he replied. "I know I can't help having troubles on the job, but one thing for sure, troubles don't belong in the house with my wife and the children. So I just hang them on the tree every night when I come home. Then in the morning, I pick them up again."

"Funny thing is", he smiled, "when I come out in the morning to pick 'em up, there ain't nearly as many as I remember hanging up the night before."
Author unknown

In most cases, taking action is the only way to combat your worries. Find out what you can do about your anxieties

1.      Jobless: Instead of worrying about getting retrenched, do the best you can to keep your job. Learn new skills, do things beyond your job scope, ask for new assignments, stay cheerful and act confidently.

2.      Failures: Failures are not bad things, it means you have tried. You just need to be smart and do it differently.


3.      What others think of you: What others think of you is none of your business. Besides what you think others are thinking about you is only in your own mind. Live the way you are, be free and be contented.  

4.      Aging: I am a baby boomer, but it does not worry me a bit. I just keep doing the right things such as  jogging regularly, eating healthily and staying cheerful and happy. I am concerned about my retirement fund so I continue to work and earn more. I wake early in the morning because there is something to do every day and I enjoy doing it.

5.      Death: Death is inevitable. The best thing you can do is to live life fully. Spend time with love ones and say the words you want to say, meet up with those you wish you had time to see them and do the things that make you happy. When the day finally arrives you have no regret.

6.      The future: Nobody knows what is going to happen, but you can always envisage the future, live the future now. Imagine the future is now and live the life of your choice.

7.      Bad things to happen: Negative thoughts mean thinking of what can go wrong. It is not a bad idea if you look at it constructively. As an example when you are driving out of town you are thinking of accidents on the road. It reminds you to drive with care and without speeding.

8.      Things beyond your control: It is not a fair world, the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer. Innocent people are killed in conflicts every day. Just pray.

9.      Your work: Instead of worrying about too much work to do, spend time to organize your workload and focus on doing one task at a time  and complete the most important ones.

10.  Outcome: You have an end result in mind but you have to concentrate on the processes and techniques to attain the expected outcome. Live in the present and enjoy the process and be happy. You are more likely to achieve your aim without an attachment to the results.


Nothing diminishes anxiety faster than action. -Walter Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...